So, by way of illustration, I've decided to compile a short list of statements that are so understated as to be absurd. Notice the use of diminutive phrases like "just", "nothing but", and "only" to enhance the effect.
- Human beings are just a bunch of atoms.
- A computer program is one enormous number.
- A human being is just a machine.
- Intelligent life coming from non-life is improbable.
- What a person believes comes down to personal preference.
- People only do what feels good.
- Space is big. (You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.)
- You'll win the lottery eventually if you keep playing it.
- The laws of nature can give us equations to determine the state of all matter at any given time if we know the state of all matter at any particular time.